The Best Homemade Dog Training Treats

Transcript

Over 500 dogs a week comeinto our training facility for dog obedience lessons.

If you want a dog who's super motivated, and focused in working forfood, just like these guys, this is the go-to recipe.

I'm Ken Steepe, and welcomeback to McCann Dogs.

 If this is your first time on the channel and you consider your dog a family member, then you're gonna wannahit that subscribe button.

We post new videos every single week to help you spend some quality time with your four legged family member.

So let's talk about the ingredients in this dog treat recipe.

It's really simple, just afew ingredients, and they are, one cup of flour, one can of tuna, one egg, and a quarter cup of cheese.

And we're gonna talk aboutthe cheese in a minute, because there's somethingyou can do with the cheese that'll make it even moreenticing for your dog.

But let's get started.

First up let's add our onecup of flower to the mix.

And then we're gonnaadd our one can of tuna.

Now, truth be told, I hate tuna.

training treats for dogs-min

Training Treats For Dogs

I hate the way tuna smells, Ihate the consistency of tuna.

However the dogs love it.

We all know how keentheir sense of smell is, and I think that's part ofthe allure of these treats, is the stinky smelling tuna is something that thedogs really really like, and something they really enjoy.

But we're just gonna breakup that tuna, and we're actually gonnaadd the water as well.

And in goes our egg.

Let's see if we can do this without leaving any ofthe shell inside the mix.

No, I actually did apretty good job I think.

And finally, in goes ourquarter cup of cheese.

Now, we were just talking a moment ago about how keen a dogs sense of smell is, so choose something like a medium, or this is actually old cheese, so it's much smellier,a little bit stronger.

And your dogs gonna likeit a little bit more.

They're at least gonnabe a little bit more interested in the treat.

Especially if you've got a picky dog, the smellier the stuff, thesmellier the ingredients, the more likely you are to have a dog who loves these treats.

Now some of my cheese gratingwas a little bit messy, so I'm gonna have to clean up what's left, I didn't get all of it in the bowl.

But next up were gonnamix this all together.

Our treats are now pretty thoroughly mixed and this is the point where we're gonna put the treats into apan to go into the oven.

Now, if you had an eight by eight pan, this ones a little bit bigger than that, but if you had an eight by eight pan this recipes gonna fitexactly into that size.

But generally if I go abouthalf the width of this pan, it's usually pretty closeto being the right amount.

But I'll show you reallyquickly, what we're gonna do is we're gonna take our ingredientsout, take our mixture out.

We're just gonna place it into the pan, and we're gonna platenit out a little bit.

(techno music) I think that's pretty good.

Now, I don't know whetheryou guys can see this at home but it's.

I've spread out the recipe until it's about a quarter inch thick, maybe just a little bit thicker.

And now we're actuallygonna put it in the oven.

Now we're actually gonna bake this twice, but the first time we bake this we're gonna put it in at 350, but it's only gonna goin for about 20 minutes.

(techno music) Okay, so our treats havespent 20 minutes in the oven, and I've just taken then out and the whole house smells like tuna.

But what we need to do now is actually we're gonna separatethe treats from the pan, and we're just gonna turn the treats over.

We're gonna turn the beginningof theses tuna treats over onto a baking sheet.

And we're actually going to cut them up into the appropriate sizes of treat.

The last thing you wannado is have great big treats that you're treating yourtoy poodle with, for example, if we were using hippy shake,or your small breed dogs.

You don't wanna have great big treats.

Maybe half the size of your thumbnail is sort of a good rule of thumb.

We actually have avideo about using treats and moving away from usingfood in your training.

And I'll post a card to itabove me here somewhere, so that you guys can have an idea of you aren't gonna be dependent on using food in your training, or using food to train a trick, but it's a really great way to start.

So let's get into cutting these treats.

Now it's really helpful to have something like a pizza cutter.

You definitely don't need to use one, but it's going to make cutting your treats just a little bit easier anda little bit more precise.

So, have a look at the size that I'm gonna be making these treats.

We're gonna put ourtreats back into the tray, and we're gonna put thesetreats back into the oven.

And this time we're gonnaput the treats in at 275 for 40-60 minutes.

And you're gonna wanna check in on them after the 40 minute mark.

(organ music) Now about 50 minutes minutes have elapsed since we put our treatsback into the oven.

And I've been checking on them frequently since about the 40 minute mark.

And they look to me likethey're just about ready to go.

Yeah, they look pretty good, they look like they're ready to go.

Now what we're going todo is pour these out, and we're gonna break them up so that they're just little tiny treats.

The really great thingabout these treats is that once we've cooled themto room temperature, we can start using them right away.

But they'll last, if wekeep them refrigerated, they'll last approximately a week, and we can use them any time.

Something that I like to do is separate them into training portions.

So I might put a handful, let's say, of treats into a Ziploc bag,and then I put it in the oven, or put it in the refrigerator, and each time I wanna train my dog I can take that little section or that little pouch of treats out, and I've got a perfect amount if I'm waiting for my coffee to be ready.

Or in the afternoon if I'vegot a couple of minutes and I wanna work on something with my dog, I can use that portion of treats.

The other thing is, ifI wanna train to trick, I can take a couple ofthose little bags out, and teach my dog to dosomething really cool like how to teach a dogto do the best buds trick, like, I'll post a link above, but teach them how todo that best buds trick.

And these really really high value treats are a great way to make sure that you're successful with that.

So I hope you have funmaking these treats.

And I know our littleborder collie Beeline really really likes them.

Now if this is your firsttime of the channel, make sure you hit that subscribe button.

We publish new videos every single week to help you spend somequality time with your dog.

See that video over there, that's one of our tricktraining playlists, and you can use yourbrand new treats recipe to teach your dog a really cool trick.

On that note, I'm Ken, happy training.

The post The Best Homemade Dog Training Treats appeared first on PlusPuppy.



Source/Repost=>
http://www.pluspuppy.com/training-treats-for-dogs/the-best-homemade-dog-training-treats/
PlusPuppy https://petparentlife.weebly.com/

Comments

Popular Posts